Wake up to breakfast cooked overnight in a slow cooker. Instead of oatmeal, rice is the breakfast of choice for the majority of Asians. This dish has an Indian flair and the flavor will make you want to get out of bed. Give it a try
Spiced Basmati Rice Breakfast Cereal
- 1 1/2 cup organic brown basmati rice rinsed well
- 3 1/2 cups water or soymilk
- 1 1/2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg freshly ground if possible
- 1/2 cup currents or raisins
- 2 cups milk, cream, rice milk or soy milk
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flaked and toasted
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds coarsely chopped and toasted
- honey for drizzling optional
- Place rice and water in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low overnight, about 8 hours.
- In the morning, grind the cinnamon, cardamom pods and nutmeg to a powder in a coffee grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Stir the currants and spices into the rice 15 minutes before serving.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls and pour 1/2 cup milk in each. Sprinkle each bowl with the toasted coconut and nuts. Drizzle with honey.