These slightly sweet scones are a perfect accompaniment to breakfast, a bowl of soup or a cup of tea. Since they cook on a griddle, you don’t need to fire up the oven.
Currant Griddle Scones
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup currents
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- Combine the first 4 dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the margarine into the dry mixture with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles course crumbs.
- Add rice milk and work it with your hands. Work in the walnuts and currents. Turn dough onto a floured board and knead briefly.
- Form the dough into a ball. Roll out to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut the dough into 2 inch rounds using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass. Gather up pieces and use for additional rounds.
- Heat griddle or large non-stick skillet to medium heat. Cook scones until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm.
Recipe Credit: Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas