Jackfruit substitutes pork in this deliciously tangy pulled “pork” recipe. Pile on a soft bun and pair with coleslaw.
Vegan Pulled Pork Barbecue
- 2 17 ounce cans green jackfruit in water
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- dash ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- BBQ sauce
- 4 soft buns
- 3/4 cups BBQ sauce plus more if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drain jackfruit, pick out any seeds and shred into chunky pieces.
- Spray a rimmed cooking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place jackfruit on cooking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with spices and seasoning salt. Use hands to coat jackfruit evenly.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Toss jackfruit. Roast for another 20 minutes. Add 3/4 cup BBQ sauce and cook five more minutes.
- Pile onto buns. Serve with more BBQ sauce. Top with coleslaw if desired.
Recipe Credit: The New Vegetarian South by Jennifer Brule