This baked macaroni and cheese begins with a basic white sauce. Creamy and cheesy goodness.
Easy Baked Mac 'n Cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 8 ounces dried elbow noodles
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Cook to al dente. Drain.
- Make a basic white sauce: Melt butter in a sauce pan. Use a wisk to stir in flour. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat, wisking constantly. Be sure not to let it burn. Slowly stir in milk and add mustard. Wisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and grated cheese, reserving a handful of cheese for the top. Stir until smooth. Pour cooked macaroni into sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.