This was a regular favorite in my household growing up. Most recipes for green rice are made with broccoli or spinach. This one is made with parsley. You can substitute spinach or broccoli if you choose to, but give it a try with the parsley first. It is so good.
Mom's Green Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons onion chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 egg yolks well beaten
- 3 egg whites stiffly beaten
- Preheat oven to 35 degrees
- Combine rice, cheese, butter, salt and pepper, chopped onion, parsley and egg yolk.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- You may sprinkle top with additional cheese before baking if desired.