An old fashioned recipe that originated with the Pennsylvania Dutch. What makes these authentic is the inclusion of nuts, raisins and nutmeg.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts and raisins chopped fine
- 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Sift in dry ingredients. Mix in nuts and raisins. Form into small balls. Roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on greased baking sheet. Flatten. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Recipe Credit: The Best of The Farmer's Wife Cookbook.