Mini Pumpkin Pies
Bite size holiday treats
- 18 ounces fresh pumpkin cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces pie dough cut into sixteen pieces
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 spilt vanilla bean
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat the pumpkin pieces with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool then mash with fork.
- Shape dough pieces into balls. Roll out each ball until about 2 1/2 inch in diameter. Press each piece into a muffin pan. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper into each pie crust and fill to the top with dried beans. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans.
- Pour the milk into a sauce pan. Scrape out the vanilla seeds from the vanilla bean and add to milk. Heat until just below the boiling point. Let cool a bit.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks, whole egg and molasses in a bowl. Add the flour and salt and beat until smooth. Strain the hot milk over the mixture and beat.
- Pour the smooth mixture into a pan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the mashed pumpkin.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the pie crusts. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just firm and slightly puffed up. Serve the pies warm with a dusting of powdered sugar on top.