It’s hearty and delicious.
Tomato and Bread Soup
It's hearty and delicious.
- 6 ounces stale bread
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small piece dried chili, crumbled optional
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes peeled and chopped or 14 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 1/4 cups vegetable or meat stock
- olive oil to serve-optional
- Remove crusts from bread and cut bread into cubes.
- Peel onion and chop. Peel garlic and finely chop.
- Heat 4 Tablespoons of olive oil in pan. If using chili, add to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Over high heat, add bread crumbs and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove bread crumbs and place on a paper towel covered plate.
- Add remaining oil and garlic to pan and cook until the onion softens, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Place a handful of bread cubes in the bottom of each soup bowl. Add soup. Allow to stand for a few minutes. Add a swirl of olive oil to top of each bowl just before serving.
Recipe Credit: Adapted from Ultimate Book of step-by-step Cooking & Gardening by Nancy McDougall and Jenny Hendy