Mary Jo was the mother of my daughter’s best friend. Her chicken broccoli casserole was my daughter’s all-time favorite meal. I was fortunate that Mary Jo gave me a handwritten copy of her recipe, which I keep tucked in my own cookbook. Passing recipes down through the generations is one way to keep the spirit of our loved ones alive. This is comfort food at its best.
Mary Jo's Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 1-2 cups broccoli pre-cooked
- 1-2 pre-cooked chicken breasts can used left over chicken
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Butter 13x9 baking pan.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces
- Pre-cook broccoli if using fresh
- Place broccoli and chicken in baking pan
- Mix together soups, mayonnaise and lemon juice and spread over chicken broccoli mixture
- Sprinkle with grated cheese
- Mix butter and bread crumbs and spread over top
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees uncovered.
- Serve with steamed rice