Latkes are a Hanukkah favorite. Substitute plain nonfat yogurt for the sour cream and non stick vegetable spray for the oil to reduce the fat content. Add grated vegetables like zucchini and carrots, or herbs like chopped parsley or fresh dill to add more nutritional value.
- 6 white potatoes
- 1 medium onion peeled
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup matzo meal or flour
- pinches salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons olive or vegetable oil for frying
- sour cream and or applesauce for topping
- Peel and grate potatoes. Drain any excess liquid (this is important).
- Grate onion and add to the grated potatoes. Add eggs, baking powder and 1/2 cup matzo meal. Add more matzo meal if mixture is not thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste and blend well.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat four Tablespoons olive or vegetable oil until hot.
- Spoon a portion of potato mixture into the pan with a large spoon and brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until mixture is gone, adding oil as needed. Serve hot with sour cream and/or applesauce.